COPPER BREAKS STATE PARK
Bordered by the seasonal Pease River, this land was once rich in bison and other wildlife. It offered protection and bounty to generations of early Americans.
Before early settlers arrived, this region was the realm of the Comanche and Kiowa tribes.
Today, Copper Breaks State Park is 1,899 acres 12 miles south of Quanah and nine miles north of Crowell, in Hardeman County.
The state purchased the park from a private owner in 1970 under the State Parks Bond Program. The park opened in 1974.
Copper Breaks State Park features rugged, scenic beauty with mixed grass/mesquite-covered mesas and juniper breaks. North Texas wildlife abounds at the park.
Roadrunners, great blue herons, many species of ducks, meadowlarks, quail, doves, cardinals, owls, flickers, bluebirds, kites, hawks and mockingbirds are just a few of the many species of birds seen in the park.
The best time to look for mammals is early morning and late evening. Species here include mule deer, rabbits, raccoons, armadillos, opossums, bobcats, porcupines and coyotes. Youll see numerous frogs, turtles and lizards, as well as an occasional Texas horned lizard or horny toad.
The Comanche were the dominant tribe of the plains. They hunted, took shelter and sought medicine from the spirit world in the Pease River area. They believed that spirits dwelled in the Medicine Mounds, four domes about 10 miles east of the park.
In 1860, a young scout for the Texas Rangers named Charles Goodnight found signs of a Comanche camp near the Pease River. The rangers tracked the band, and a gun battle ensued. The rangers captured a woman and her infant.