MCKINNEY FALLS STATE PARK
From the late 1600s to the early 1800s, a portion of El Camino Real de los Tejas ran through what is now the park.
Be sure to visit Old Baldy, one of the oldest bald cypress trees on public land in Texas. Estimated at more than 500 years old, the tree is 103 feet tall. Its trunk measures 195 inches around, and its diameter is 60.5 inches.
Kentucky-born McKinney had settled in San Felipe de Austin in 1830 as one of Stephen F. Austins first 300 colonists before moving to Galveston.
During the Texas Revolution, the McKinney-Williams firm was the primary source of men, money, and supplies for the Texas army. It financed over $150,000 - more than 10 percent of the total cost of the revolution. The McKinney-Williams ships formed a part of the quickly-assembled Texas Navy.
McKinney died on Oct. 2, 1873, at his home. He was deeply in debt. His peers remembered him fondly and gave him an elaborate funeral service on the steps of the Capitol building. He is buried in Oakwood Cemetery in Austin.
After McKinneys death, his widow, Anna, sold the property to James Woods Smith. Members of the Smith family owned and farmed the land for several generations before donating it to the State of Texas in 1973.
The park officially opened to the public in 1976. Enjoy fishing, hiking, swimming, camping and more when you visit the park today.